Monday, December 17, 2007

Life with the Christmas Crab




As the clock ticks down to Christmas, I thought it might be a nice time to revisit a column about how this time of year goes in my household:




Call me cheesy, but I’m one of those people who starts getting excited about Christmas even before Thanksgiving. I tune my radio pre-set buttons in my car to those 24 hour holiday music stations the day after Thanksgiving and ride around singing every Christmas song (even when I don’t know the words) until the big day. I bake cookies. I make decorations. I even watch all of those feel-good Christmas specials on TV. (Yes, I even watch the really bad made for Lifetime TV Christmas movies).
My husband, on the other hand, transforms into a creature I call “The Christmas Crab.” As soon as the holiday decorations start going up in stores and around town, he starts to grumble. He scowls. He frequently growls, “I hate Christmas.” There is nothing I can do to change his mind.
Of course, this doesn’t stop me. It just challenges me. The more he hates Christmas, the more I try to make him like Christmas. And the more I try, the more he claims to hate the holiday season. It’s a never-ending cycle.




To read the complete column, click here

2 comments:

Blog Author: Wayne M. Patten said...

Okay! I am brave enough to come down on Ken's side. I HATE CHRISTMAS TOO!!! It is the most insane holiday one could experience. Proclaiming "Peace on Earth" it fosters and feeds turmoil and confusion, guilt for not affording to give gifts, strokes, heart attacks and suicides.

Oh!! Lara - Please don't forget to give me my Christmas Gift :-)

HAPPY SOLSTICE!!

Wayne (Crab 2)

Lara Bricker said...

I hate to say that this year I'm not really that festive yet. I haven't even decorated the tree and we're only days away... Maybe I need more eggnog